The British royal family
The first king of England, Alfred the Great, was born in 849. That´s a long time ago! The kings and queens don´t have any power now in the United Kingdom, but they are still a big part of British tradition. Meet the Royals!
Queen Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary; born 21 April 1926) is, and has been since her accession in 1952, Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and Head of the Commonwealth. She is also queen of 12 countries that have become independent since her accession: Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis.
• Queen Elizabeth II was only 25 years old when she became Queen. She has been Queen for 64 years!
• The Queen lives in Buckingham Palace in London, but her favourite home is Balmoral Castle in Scotland.
• She loves Corgi dogs.
• She doesn´t need a passport!
• The Queen has two birthday parties: one is private with her family at home and the other one is with the public.
• During the Second World War she was a mechanic and drove a military truck.
Her job: The Queen has lots of duties, like visiting hospitals, opening events, answering letters and having meetings with the government.
Prince Charles (Charles Philip Arthur George; born 14 November 1948), is the eldest child and heir apparent of Queen Elizabeth II. Known alternatively in South West England as Duke of Cornwall and in Scotland as Duke of Rothesay, he is the longest-serving heir apparent in British history, having held the position since 1952. He is also the oldest person to be next in line to the throne since Sophia of Hanover who died in 1714 at the age of 83.
• He is also called the Prince of Wales because it is the traditional title for the child who will be the next king or queen.
• In 1981, he married Lady Diana Spencer and they had two sons: Prince William and Prince Harry. In 1996, the couple divorced, following well-publicised extramarital affairs. Diana died in a car crash in Paris the following year. In 2005, Charles married Camilla Parker Bowles.
• Prince Charles likes farming and animals, and he likes looking after the environment.
• His favourite sport is polo, a game played by riding a horse and hitting a ball with a long stick.
His job: He has to help the Queen, visit other countries, have meetings with important leaders, visit schools and look after the armed services.
Prince William (William Arthur Philip Louis; (born 21 June 1982) is the elder son of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Diana, Princess of Wales. He is second in line to succeed his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, after his father. Some people think he will be the next king because Prince Charles is getting old.
• His title is the Duke of Cambridge. This title was given to him by the Queen.
• His mother was Princess Diana, who died in an accident when he was only 15 years old.
• William married Kate Middleton, on 29 April 2011 at Westminster Abbey. Hours before the wedding, he was created Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, and Baron Carrickfergus. The couple's first child, Prince George, was born on 22 July 2013, and their second, Princess Charlotte, was born on 2 May 2015. When he married Catherine Middleton, 2 billion people around the world watched the wedding.
• He was in the British army for over seven and a half years.
His job: He now works for the air ambulance service and flies a helicopter to rescue people.
The Duchess of Cambridge (born Catherine Elizabeth Middleton; 9 January 1982) is the wife of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.
• Kate met William when they were both students at St Andrew´s University in Scotland.
• Kate loves fashion. Every time she is photographed wearing a high-street dress, it quickly sells out in the shops.
• She is allergic to horses.
• She is sporty; she likes hockey, rowing, athletics and tennis.
• Before she was a royal she worked at her parents´ company, Party Pieces, which sells things for parties.
Her job: Now she is a mother and does some small things for charities.
Prince George of Cambridge (George Alexander Louis; born 22 July 2013) is only two years old and already famous. People around the world were excited when he was born because he´s a new member of the royal family.
• It is possible that he could be a future king because he is Prince William´s first son.
• The Prince went on his first royal trip to Australia when he was only eight months old.
His parents try to give him a normal life. The newspapers may not take pictures of him all the time, only when his parents say it´s OK.
Princess Charlotte of Cambridge (Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, born 2 May 2015) is the younger child and only daughter of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. She is fourth in line to succeed her paternal great-grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, after her paternal grandfather, father, and elder brother.
Prince Henry of Wales, (Henry Charles Albert David; born 15 September 1984), commonly known as Prince Harry,is the younger son of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Diana, Princess of Wales. He is currently fifth in line after his father, his older brother Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and William's children, George and Charlotte.
• After he finished school he worked in the army and was a soldier in Afghanistan.
• He is sometimes known as the ´wild prince´ because he likes to go to parties.
His job: He was an army helicopter pilot and even fought in Afghanistan. In June 2005, he left his army job after 10 years.
Použitá literatúra:Jo Molloy. 2015. Who are the royals? In Gate. Praha: Bridge Publishing House, 2015. Rozsah strán (strana 4-5)